Equity vs Equality:
Equity in CS:
Top Five Tips for Creating a More Equitable CS Learning Environment in Your Classroom
- Reflect on your own biases and assumptions about computer science. Ensure you are aware of the inequity you might be creating through your words and actions in the classroom.
- Signal an inclusive and equitable classroom environment at all times through your actions, seating arrangements, strategic grouping choices, posters and classroom decorations, etc.
- Facilitate conversations and activities in which students reflect on their biases and assumptions about themselves and others as they pertain to computer science and STEM education.
- Explicitly teach strategies for students to employ when confronted with bias from others, both in and out of the classroom.
- Foster a culture of resiliency, tenacity and grit by modeling and supporting student self-advocacy.